Travelling after a Stroke

Can I get travel insurance if I’ve had a stroke?

Yes, MIA can usually offer insurance for people travelling with a history of stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA).

As with all policies, our ability to offer travel insurance cover will depend on your individual circumstances, such as how recently you’ve had a stroke, the severity of your symptoms and any secondary illnesses or complications. However, rest assured, MIA specialise in offering cover for those people who have found it difficult getting travel insurance previously.

What's covered?

MIA is made up of two specialist medical travel insurance products, Clear2Go and Clear4Travel. Each product has its own levels of cover:

  • Medical cover up to £5,000,000 per person
  • Baggage Cover of up to £1,500 per person
  • Cancellation cover of between £1,000 and £2,000
  • Mobility Equipment is available as an add-on product for up to £5,000
  • Medical cover up to £5,000,000 per person
  • Baggage Cover of up to £1,500 per person
  • Cancellation cover of between £2,000 and £5,000
  • Hospitalisation cover and personal accident cover - inclusive of death benefit of up to £30,000

Please see our policy wording for a full list of benefits and exclusions.

Medical Screening

We have an experienced and friendly team to talk you through the process and explain any difficult insurance or medical jargon, so we can tailor-make a policy that’s right for you.

All policies and prices vary according to individual circumstances, such as the destination you have chosen as well as your health at the time of travel. There may be times where we can’t offer you cover, but our team will be able to talk you through any options available to you.

Travelling after a Stroke - Tips

1. Speak with your doctor

If you’ve recently suffered a stroke or are still recovering from the symptoms, you should speak to your doctor before you travel, just to be on the safe side. Advice about how soon you can fly after a stroke varies considerably, depending on whether you’ve experienced a full stroke or a TIA, called a mini stroke by some.

2. Medication

If you’re taking regular medication, for stroke or any other condition, make sure you have enough to last you for the duration of your trip, and a few extra days in case of delays. Consider taking your medication in your hand luggage to prevent loss, but keep them in their original containers and packaging so they can be easily identified. You may need a letter from your doctor to explain what your medicines are, so ensure that you request this in plenty of time.

3. On the flight

Suffering a stroke or TIA can mean that you’re a little more susceptible to blood clots and Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), so it’s important, especially on long flights of six hours or more, that you keep moving and hydrated. The NHS website has more advice on how to prevent travel related Deep Vein Thrombosis.

4. Practicalities

Strokes affect people differently, while some make a very quick and full recovery, some are left with symptoms that are longer lasting. If you are still experiencing symptoms such as reduced mobility, speech or co-ordination issues contact your airline as you may require assistance at the terminal or on board. Consider any additional needs you may have when booking your accommodation and making your itinerary, the point of a holiday is to take some time out, so take care of things before you leave to allow maximum time for relaxation!

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to declare if I’ve had a stroke, even if I’m fully recovered?

Yes, it’s best to be upfront and let us know your full medical history, if you don’t declare all details, it could make it difficult to make a successful claim.

Am I insured for all secondary or related conditions?

MIA specialise in offering travel insurance to people that may have been declined elsewhere, so whatever your medical history, we’ll work hard to try to get you insured.

What happens if I cancel my trip due to ill health?

If you doctor deems you not fit for travel, will offer cover against you and any other travellers insured on the policy, subject to terms and conditions.

Can I come home early if I need to?

If you become seriously ill while you’re away or your condition worsens, our Emergency Medical Assistance team are on hand to help. If necessary, we will arrange for you and a companion, as long as they’re on the policy, to be brought home and cover any reasonable costs that you can’t be refunded for.

Do I need a letter from a Doctor to say I’m fit to travel?

No, but we do ask that you discuss your travel arrangements with your GP or medical team and that they make a note on your records that they’re happy for you to travel. If your doctor offers any restrictions to your travel, please let us know.

Is annual or single trip cover best for me?

If you’re planning more than two trips in a year, you may benefit from an annual policy. If you’re thinking of one holiday, a single trip policy might be more cost effective.

If you have any other questions, not covered here, please let us know and we’ll be happy to discuss them with you.